Jobs Opportunities

Candidate Success Stories

Embracing New Adventures

Adventurous experiences have always attracted Khattar Abou Mehri. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon, and had an active childhood filled with activities like tennis and horseback riding. When Khattar was 18, he moved to Besançon in France to study hotel management. “I am an extrovert, and I love communicating with people. That is why I was intrigued by hotel management,” says Khattar. After finishing his studies, Khattar began working as a night shift receptionist at the Intercontinental Hotel of Paris. Human interaction with guests was Khattar’s favorite part of the job, and he thrived in the logistics of managing teams of staff.

Khattar then joined the pre-opening team at the Habtoor Grand Hotel in Beirut as night manager. “I have traveled quite a bit and enjoy living in different countries,” says Khattar.

In 2006, the war in Lebanon motivated Khattar to move to Saudi Arabia, where he worked in hospitality for many years. Khattar’s adventure took a new direction when he moved to Montreal with his husband seven months ago. Khattar connected with Défis RH when he applied for a position the company posted on LinkedIn. “I had an interview with Jessie from Défis RH, and she was very personal and attentive. It was a great interaction, and she showed me that she cares about my future career,” says Khattar.

It was his first time working with a recruitment company in Canada, and Khattar admired how conscientious the interaction was compared to other recruiters he’d encountered prior. “I’ve met many recruiters who only send messages online via email or LinkedIn. Jessie was the first one who made the effort to call and follow up,” explains Khattar. While job hunting, Khattar found the slow pace of most recruitment companies frustrating, often waiting for weeks between meetings. In comparison, Jessie was attentive throughout the whole experience and regularly called to touch base with him after interviews. Whether or not the company was the right fit, Khattar felt supported by Jessie and the Défis RH team. “I highly recommend Jessie and Défis RH because they take the extra step to help you and stay connected until you find a job. Défis RH is special from other firms in the way they prioritize human connection,” says Khattar. Khattar is now embarking upon the next stage of his adventure in Canada, working at IKEA in their people planning department and settling into Montreal life with his husband. Knowing that people like Jessie and Défis RH are there for him empowers Khattar to embrace this next chapter confidently: “I have gained a genuine professional friendship in Jessie. I am new to Canada, and I know if I need anything, she will help. For example, I called Jessie last week for business advice, and she asked about my husband and his happiness. When people take the time to talk to you, you feel someone is caring.”

Read also

Stay connected

If you like what you read, sign up below to receive our blog.

Bookmark our website!