Jobs Opportunities

Candidate Success Stories

Genuine Listening Makes a Difference

Brigida D’Antonio always loved math and working with money.  As a young girl, she would play cashier at a store and calculate purchases from her patrons. When she was old enough for employment, her jobs focused on dealing with money.  She says, “I liked math and money because there is a logic behind it more than anything else.”

Brigada studied finance at Concordia University and worked part-time as a bookkeeper for an auditing firm.  She says, “It was a way for me to link the studies with a real job I was considering.” When she graduated, she went to the auditing side of the finance industry.  The experience made her realize she wanted to work for a company that sold products instead of services.  She left auditing and took an accounting manager position at an olive oil company, where she learned every aspect of company accounting. She then transitioned to a large corporation, quickly becoming the assistant controller. However, despite her success, Brigada realized she had moved away from an aspect of finance that she enjoyed. So after much reflection, Brigada searched for a job that provided more fulfillment.

She found a position posted by Défis RH, a company she had not heard of before. She googled the name, reviewed the website, and thought the smaller company might offer a more personal approach.  When she finally connected with company owner Jessie Fortin, Brigada felt comfortable and confident that Défis RH would be different from other recruiting firms she had worked with before.   

Before long, Jessie presented Brigada with a potential job, and she agreed to submit her information.  The company liked what it saw and scheduled an interview with Brigada.  However, after the meeting, the company and Brigada felt it wasn’t the right fit. “Jessie told me not to worry and that they would keep looking for a position that felt right,” says Brigada. Two weeks later, Jessie contacted her with another position.  She says, “I was blown away when I received Jessie’s call because they remembered me and matched me with a place I liked.” Jessie set up an online interview, and three weeks later, Brigada accepted their job offer.

Looking back on her experience, Brigada says Défis RH’s confidence and personal, down-to-earth approach made all the difference.  She says, “Jessie kept me upfront and made me a priority while the big firms made me feel like they were only trying to make a sale.” To put it into perspective, Brigada spent over six months searching for a job with several large recruiting firms and only six weeks with Défis RH. “Jessie’s approach was always personalized. She listened to what I said I was looking for and prioritized finding the right fit.”

After Brigada took her new position with the company, she stayed in contact with Défis RH. She says, “Jessie told me that she wanted to ensure that it was exactly what I wanted, and if I had any doubts, I was to contact her.” Now Brigada has someone currently working a three-month mandate with her and says she will recommend her to contact Défis RH.  

Brigada feels candidates must work with recruiters that genuinely listen to their needs.  Finding the right fit is more critical than receiving many job listings.  She says, “People often overlook a smaller recruiting company because they will get more opportunities from a big firm, but Jessie proved that quality is much better than quantity.” If you or someone you know needs help making a career change like Brigida, please contact Défis RH to find out how they can help.

Read also

Stay connected

If you like what you read, sign up below to receive our blog.

Bookmark our website!